Im studying and need help with a Social Science question to help me learn.
1. Why is Horton labeled deviant in the story?
2. Use the three elements of constructionism to discuss Hortons deviance.
Relativism Discuss context as it relates to Hortons deviance.
Subjectivism How does Horton experience being labeled deviant?
Voluntarism How does Horton express his free will in making the choice to save Whoville?
3. Use the symbolic interactionist perspective to explain the different responses to the dust speck in the story (what does the dust speck mean to the different characters). Note the consequences for the characters based on their interpretation of this symbol.
4. Consider labeling theory
Which characters are the labelers? How are they depicted? How do they ensure that Horton is labeled deviant (hint: a form of informal social control)?
5. Chambliss legal reality theory suggests that those who enforce the law (police, prosecutors, judges) are essentially working to protect the interests political, economic, moral interests of those belonging to the dominant power structure. What we see here is that the powerless are not treated equally under the law (law in action/law on the books).
Who are the enforcers in the story? Why do you think its so easy for them to condemn Horton to being roped & caged? Can you think of a current social issue where a powerless group has been demonized by the powerful & mainstream thinkers who dont question the those in power? How likely is it that Jane Kangaroo would have been treated the same as Horton? Explain your answer.
6. Ultimately, the Whos save themselves by rising up & being heard. Do you believe that speaking out, ie. protesting for stricter gun control, professional football players taking a knee during the National Anthem, Black Lives Matter can make a difference the U.S. today? Please note that these groups are often viewed as social deviants.”
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.